Saturday, 24 September 2011

It Doesn't Get Much Sparklier Than This! Scotch Tape Nail Art!

When I was in the USA recently, I popped into a local Claire's Accessories, expecting it to be much like the UK shops, Nail Polish wise. I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG. I picked up some really interesting stuff like the Claire's Mood Polishes, a Glow in the Dark topcoat, a Deborah Lippman dupey-looking Rainbow Glitter and THIS amazingly sparkly holographic Gold Glitter Topcoat. Topcoat? psssssht, Ill just whack it on on its own thanks!

I did start out with a base of Bloom Goldie, just to minimise the appearance of any bald patches that might occur. Formula is fine, I only needed 3 coats for full glitter coverage, then it was like a Unicorn expoded all over my hands:

natural sunlight


A blurry picture shows the holographic rainbow effect better!
It really is a sight to behold in the sunlight! I added some Scotch Tape Nail Art, cutting tiny strips of tape, and sticking them in a "starburst" pattern on the nail. I then painted over the entire nail in MUA Shade 2, a very opaque Black. I removed the tape strips while the black was still wet, then added a coat of Seche Vite to smooth it all over.





The Gold looks great, all the holographic yumminess just peeking through. Here's a video so you can see how it catches the light:





Look at it go in the bottle haha!!

I like the trashy, blinginess of Claire's Gold Glitter Topcoat by itself, but I think it looks much more sophisticated and subtle as a highlight on a black nail. What do you think everyone?


Don't Forget you can vote for me to win Cosmopolitan's Best New Beauty Blog of 2011! Click the pic to be taken to the really easy voting system!



Thank you so much :D

27 comments:

  1. Nice manicure. :) Btw link at click on the picture doesn't work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG it's so pretty!!! I really couldn't ever wear this, I would get NOTHING done! I'm quite hoping this is available in UK Claires :)
    xGretalRabbitx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! Im definitely trying this nail art soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the sparkle really comes through! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this scotch tape mani & it was a failure big time! Yours looks so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I love how it looks with the tape mani!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the black tape design over that gold polish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap! Thats all I can say about this one!! Will have to try to hunt it down!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow thats gorgeous! I've never attempted anything like that with scotch tape!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a gorgeous sparkle! And wow it's amazing that you've been nominated for that, well done! I've voted for you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this in my stash and never even thought of covering it up like you did in the tape mani. Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! You made a scotch tape mani look so easy..so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks amazing! You totally deserve the Cosmo blog award, I've voted x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! I have a Claire's in my town, but keep forgetting about checking for polish. Your fabulous mani has reminded me to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do like the burst of glitter! A lot :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely freaking gorgeous, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mind. Blown.

    This is gorgeous and I'm absolutely going to have to try my own version!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks awesome Emily - and the unicorn comment made me laugh out loud!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks lovely, everytime I try doing this one though it messes up :( have you tried stamping with the MUA black polish?

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is incredible! must try!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Satta King
    Play Bazaar Mukaddar ka gareeb, dil ka ameer tha,
    Mil kar bichadna mera naseeb tha,
    Chaahkar bhi kuch kar na sake ham,
    Ghar jalta raha aur samudra kareeb tha.

    ReplyDelete